Unplanned Card Systems Downtime

Dear Staff / Students

We wish to inform you that we are experiencing a technical issue at the moment with the card system which is causing intermittent unplanned systems downtime.

When 16th, 17th 18th Sept

Time   Intermittent

What/Who is being affected:

This is affecting the following systems at intermittent intervals:

-  Car park barriers

-  Web top-up

-  Printing

-  Paying at tills – Canteen, Shops, Reprographics, Staff room, Snack bar

Our technical team are currently working to resolve the issue. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Hi All,

I wanted to provide you with an update on this downtime.

At this point we have had 5 hours of uninterrupted service. A team of people are focused solely on resolving this matter and continue to give it their utmost attention. While we have had 5 hours of uninterrupted service, we are not yet happy to conclusively say that we have identified the root cause. We will continue to focus on this issue until we have identified the root cause and found an appropriate resolution.

I understand this is a stressful time for all and I thank you all for your patience.

In the interim, we will ensure that all car park barriers to paid car parks will remain open to minimise disruption.

I will continue to provide daily updates until we have resolved this issue.

Hi All,

Over the past number of weeks, the IT Services team, in conjunction with the external card system provider and Oracle have worked to narrow down the root cause of our underlying issue. At this point we have narrowed down the issue to an underlying problem with the Oracle database. In response to this we have taken the decision to install a fresh Oracle instance and build the card system from scratch. This will take some time and we are focusing on the planning of this initiative right now as the plan will need to be quite detailed and fully thought through. Our planning will be aiming to manage the associated downtime so that the impact on you, our customers, is minimised.

I brought this to IT Steering this morning and a cutover date of Friday 25th October was agreed to bring the new system online and shutdown the old system. This will involve some downtime for customers, however we feel that this date may be the best date for that downtime as it gives us the weekend as a contingency. I will confirm downtime periods closer to the date itself.

Until we bring in the new system, the intermittent issues with the card system, and 4 dependent systems below, will unfortunately continue.

-  Car park barriers

-  Web top-up

-  Printing

-  Paying at tills – Canteen, Shops, Reprographics, Staff room, Snack bar

I thank you again for your patience.

Jonathan McCarthy (IT Services Manager)

Login or Signup to post a comment